Friday, July 26, 2013

5 Ways to Modernize the Living Room of an Older Home (sponsored post)

Nowadays when we flip through a book about interior design, we are greeted with images of sophisticated looking living rooms that are filled with the exuberance of modern decorations. The bold and solid colours exude the modern lifestyle that is very much sought after by the current generation of home owners. Does living in a classical home built generations ago mean you should put that book down and end your dreams of a modern home? The good news is that you don’t have to do that and by following these simple steps below, you will be well on your way towards realising your housing dreams.

First and foremost, seek out the right flooring

You may or may not be surprised to hear that hardwood floors are back in trend and you may already have them underneath your carpet! Plenty of traditional homes have carpeted floors and underneath those carpets, are beautiful hard wood floors that are just begging to be unveiled to the world. Hardwood floors always look good when paired with a house full of simple furniture. This is one relatively inexpensive way of moderising an older home.

Give your house a paint job

Sometimes all your house needs is a fresh coat of paint to transform it from being dull to trendy. The key is to find the right shade of colour that will mix well with the other furniture inside your home. Try to focus on repainting parts of the house that are beginning to go stale. A consistent colour with a ‘feature’ colour is a popular way of modernising a home these days. A recommended ratio for this is 80 / 20 where, 80% of the room is dominant and the remaining 20% is feature wall or a colour which supports your internal decor. Here are some other colour ratio tips you can followhttp://budgetdecorating.about.com/od/DecoratingColorPattern/a/Top-Tips-For-Choosing-Interior-Colors.htm

A lot of modern furniture comes in different colours, so if you’ve been thinking about throwing out that tired old couch, opt to get a replacement which complements the shades of a feature colour or wall. Although this opens the door for many options for your furniture options, some exude refreshing interior luxury like Lujo's designer bean bag chairs for example.  You may also be interested in a few of these other options from IKEA.

No paint? No Problem!

So maybe you like the colour of the paint on your home. There are still plenty of ways to add bright colours into your home simply by changing the colour of your drapes, cushions and curtains and matching things up! Whether you swap them for bolder designs or brighter colours, they definitely have the potential to give your home that modern feel. Bright yellows, pinks, reds and greens can definitely work a treat, when mixing your shades up respectively.

Don’t neglect the classical decorations

Matching your classical home with modern and trendy furniture, is actually pretty easy and can actually work really well. Use some vintage accents to further blur the lines between old and new. For example, a neutral looking leather couch can easily be adapted to suit the new interior of your home. This can be done by throwing a few old styled but coloured pillows or cushions on it.

Don’t over clutter your living space.

While filling your home with new things can be both exciting and exhilarating, it would be wise to try and hold yourself back by decorating sparsely. Do not forget that at the end of the day, you are looking for a home that achieves the perfect balance between classical and modern lifestyles. When you decorate too much, your home will end up looking cluttered which will not serve your purpose of modernising your home. Remember in many cases less is more!

Redecorating and modernising your home doesn’t have to cost a lot or even take a lot of time. It is amazing what a set of coloured drapes, cushion covers or a few added pieces of new furniture can do your living area. Using With these simple steps you will be well on your way towards creating and achieving that perfect balance between old and trendy.

1 comment:

  1. The Fella and I are moving in together this month, so this is great advice as we decorate our new place :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.